See all Dog Halloween Costume styles
Getting your Pet to Love Wearing Costumes
Some dogs love getting the attention that a Halloween costume brings, but other dogs just don't like being laughed at.
How do you get these dogs to like the costume? Here are some tips:
• Don't put the costume on right away and expect your dog to go along with it. A few weeks before you expect him to wear the costume, use treat training to get him motivated.
• Drape the costume over his back for a few seconds, and then give him a little treat. Do this for a few seconds several times, then daily, longer each time, treating and praising all the while.
• Put the costume on loosely, and follow the above instructions, for a few seconds, then a few minutes, with praise and treats galore.
• Enlist the help of a friend. Let the friend give treats when the dog is in costume and when the costume comes off, the friend (and treats) go away.
• Soon your dog will be glad when he sees the costume being taken out for him.